Friday, January 30, 2009

Did I miss my calling in life?

Before I begin my planned career as a medical device engineer, I thought I should test out another line of work to make sure I am not missing out on my true calling in life. So last week, I tried out my skills at being a truck driver. I rented the largest moving truck they let you drive without a commercial drivers license (CDL) and drove it across the country.

My journey began last Friday by filling the truck up with some family heirlooms and other furniture I will need out in my new condo in Cincinnati. The following morning I left Salt Lake City at the crack of dawn, I needed to get ahead of a fast approaching snow storm. I turned onto I-80 and headed due east. I continued to drive straight ahead for quite awhile, the sunset but there was still plenty of road a head of me. After a few hours of driving in the dark I thought as being just a novice truck driver I should not try to drive though the night, so I stayed at a local hotel somewhere in the middle of Nebraska. After a few hours of sleep I arose again as the sun was rising and I continued my journey. The rest of the day I continued to drive straight ahead. Just after midnight I arrived to my breaking point, I was singing along to Delilah's love songs and paying attention to the sappy dedications of the listeners. Fortunately for me I was arriving to my first stop, Ann Arbor, Michigan. After two straight days of sitting in a truck I looked forward to spending the night on a friend's couch.

Monday I loaded up the truck with some additional items that were in storage in Ann Arbor. I continued my journey south to Cincinnati. Having a few days under my belt I started to really feel like I had a handle on this truck driving thing and arrived to my destination ahead of schedule. Luckily I did, because my arrival to Cincinnati was accompanied with the arrival of a terrible ice storm.

The following morning I had to uncover my truck from a quarter inch of ice that was no fun. Throughout the rest of the day I was able to unpack the huge truck. Fortunately a few people come over to help me. The next morning I returned to the open road and headed back to Ann Arbor. My short time as a truck driver had come to an end. After spending 40+ hours on the road the last few days I came to the realization that being a truck driver is not my calling and I am looking forward to my shot of being a medical device engineer in a few weeks, but I am glad I had the chance to test out a new way of life and I can sympathize with anyone that has to drive the long hauls across our great country.

1 comment:

JJF said...

I seriously hope that sappy sing-along included some Boyz II Men, because I know for a fact that those songs are a part of your repertoire. Good times, good times.

Hope you're enjoying your condo!