Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Another Mile Stone

I have finished my Master's degree in Biomedical Engineering from the University of Michigan. The time has flown by and now that I have a few moments to relax I thought I would list the top ten highlights of my short time here in Ann Arbor. (The list is not in any order I just wrote them as they came to mind and the list is not complete, but ten is a good round number)

1. I was able to feel like I was on ER and scrub up and see a real live surgery as I shadowed a surgeon here at U of M.

2. Almost get ran over while going to an institute activity. Later I become good friends with the reckless drivers. A good story since I did not die.

3. U of M sporting events as a whole. I still enjoyed being a part of Michigan's worst season of football ever and going with friends made it that much more enjoyable. The highlight was going to the Citrus Bowl last year and take in the silence as Michigan upset Florida the home favorites.

4. Fiesta Dos Mil Ocho. Just seeing a large part of the Hillstreeters willing to learn how to salsa dance was priceless. Also seeing Jonathan impress all the ladies with his made skills was good too.

5. All the GSNO activities. School was hard enough, so meeting up with friends was always a highlight of the week. I did not like the one week when no one showed up to Ann Arbor Brewing Company, but over all GSNO had a good turnout and I loved it.

6. Becoming more cultured. I cannot list all the new things I tried while living in Ann Arbor. I even made it to an Opera and found out that I love it and can't wait until I can go again. In general having friends in the music school is a big plus! I enjoyed going to all their concerts and they are so talented it was always amazing.

7. Going up North to camp with friends and taking in the beauty of Michigan. And luckily Jason did not listen to the GPS and drive us into a lake.

8. Having friends that were willing to go on a very last minute road trip down to Ohio.

9. Meeting other people that loved the Office even more than I did. The Office parties were always a great time and provided some need stress relief.

10. The friends I have made. The people here are amazing and I enjoyed all the many different things I did because, I always did them with great friends. I am not going to leave Michigan just smarter, but I am indeed a better person for being able to meet and associate with so many outstanding people.

It has been a great trip and I am truly sad to be leaving, but I am only going to be a few hours south so I am sure I will find my way back. I would like to thank those friends I have made and would like to wish you all the best of luck.

Some pictures that show how good these highlights were:

1 comment:

Brady said...

Congrats on the whole finishing your degree thing, Jake. That's a great feeling!