Sunday, November 16, 2008

The cultured Jake, breaking away from the norm.

This week I have enjoyed a plethora of cultural events. The week started last Saturday accompanying Stephanie Rhodes to the two piano concert at Hill Auditorium. We were pleased to hear the two large grand pianos come to life by Yefim Brofman one of the most talented virtuoso pianists performing today and Emanuel Ax. Some how I ended up with front row seats to the event. Stephiane informed me that the sound quality was not the best on the front row, but I still felt like they were great seats. I enjoyed being able to feel like I was right next to the artists. For example we were able to see Yefim's comb over flop from side to side as he really got into some parts of the pieces and we could hear Emanuel sing the notes as he played them. It was a very enjoyable evening.

My week of culture continued when I returned to Hill Auditorium to support a few friends in the University Chamber Orchestra. It was a very needed break in a busy week. My worries were soothed away as I listened to the melodies being played. Both Maggie and Erica played fabulous and I also enjoyed the harpist, there is something to be said that many people connect harp playing with visions of heaven.

My week of culture hit a high on Friday evening, not to say I did not enjoy the other performances, but Friday was my first exposure to opera and I feel in love with it. For the evening out I was accompanied by Jody and many other ward members who were there to support Juan. Fearing that we would not understand what was going on since the opera, Eugene Onegin, was in Russian Jody and I upon arriving in our seats read the first Act's synopsis. Once the performance began we learned that we were able to understand the plot aided by the great acting and super titles that highlighted some of the key dialogue. So for the next two Acts we decided not to read the synopsis and it made it much more enjoyable with the added degree of suspense. Our friend Juan did an excellent job and the entire cast made my first experience with opera a great one. I enjoyed the story, music, and emotion.

I will say my week of culture ended on a low, but a funny one. A group of us went to a high school production of A Christmas Carol in support of Rachel's niece. At first, I was not going to include this play in my week of culture, but I turned the event into a new experience by taking the role as a critic. I looked at every aspect of the show and thought the highlight was the elaborate stage setup. Both Amy and I agreed that the portals of Jacob Marley was by far the best example of acting and we felt the actor should have had a greater role. I did not care for the typical high school need of having someone in drag. I don't believe it added anything to the performance. I believe many people left questioning exactly what kind of change over came Scrooge, as he acted quite flamboyant after his visits with the spirits. The evening was not complete with out listening to more than thirty minutes of thank yous and shameless plugs for local retail business that supported the production. I would have walked out during them if we did not have to wait and visit with Rachel's niece. But all and all it was a good evening with friends.

I would like to end my week of culture with a little bit of self reflection. If you would have asked me as a kid if I would ever enjoy a week full of opera, musicals, and symphonies I would have told you never in a million years. As a kid I was never exposed to such things and therefore I thought they were just stupid. But now, I think it is important as we mature we become our own person. Not to say we should not end up like our parents, but as a kid I did not like things because my dad did not like them. So I am very thankful that I was willing to break out of what I learned from my parents and make my own opinion of things. It started with a great English professor my first year in collage and the love of the fine arts has continued to grow and flourish and this week, which was chuck full of things is an example of how I have changed and become a more complete person since leaving my home and starting off on my own adventures. Hopefully someday the roles will be reversed and I will expose my parents to new things.

2 comments:

Jess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jess said...

Jake I enjoyed this post immensely. You don't mind if I refer my boyfriend to your blog do you:)?