Thursday, November 27, 2008

Am I an adult yet?


Since, I am sitting in the Cincinnati airport for 9 hours on Thanksgiving I thought what better way to spend my time than write a blog post.
This week I have reached a huge mile stone in my life, I have put an offer on my first home/condo.
Last week I went down to Cincinnati and in what seemed like a whirlwind Cindy my Realtor took my father and I to 13 different properties. By the end of the day I could not tell you what I liked or not, they all seemed the same to me. Okay, I still knew I did not like the condo that had hot pink and green walls. But after sleeping on it and looking back at the notes to jog my memory I decided to extend an offer on one of the condos I really liked, as always in life it was the most expensive one I saw, but still in my price range. After a day of going back and forth on the price trying my hardest to act like I did not like the property that much, but I am not that good of a liar. But they took some of the asking price, which made me feel better. Tuesday, I finally signed the purchase contract and if the inspects go as planned I will be moving into my new home on January 28th of 2009.
So even now that I am going to be a home owner in the near future and paying a monthly mortgage payment, I still have to ask myself am I an adult? I feel if you asked my parents they would respond with a hesitate yes, indicating that they share the feeling like many people that still believe I am not an adult, but better put a "young single adult" which is more closely considered a youth than an adult. So what is it about being married that makes you instantaneously considered an adult? I guess as still a single person I do not know the answer. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying married people should not be considered adults, I believe they are adults, heck they have agreed to always think about the needs of another as equally as they think about their own needs. But I don't agree that you to be married or 50 years old to be considered an adult. I look forward to future as I continue being an adult that tries his best to contribute to the greater community.

3 comments:

JJF said...

Jake, the place looks great! Congrats again!

Jess said...

How exciting! You are a real adult now. Don't forget to ask Rachel about her fake fireplace so you can get one for your bachelor pad.

Brian said...

I just discovered your blog. Keep up the blogging after you're gone!